California has recently come out of a severe drought but long-term water conservation continues to be a top priority for California. On April 7, 2017 Gov. Jerry Brown issued issued Executive Order B-40-17 that builds on previous actions taken in 2015 and 2016 to address the drought. The Order maintains all restrictions previously imposed and continues to direct State Agencies to develop long-term conservation actions with resiliency and sustained reliability as major objectives. Recycled water is not in short supply and is exempt from these requirements. Many of our parks use recycled supplies.
The Governor's Executive Order focus on these main action areas:
- Increase enforcement against water waste
- Streamline government response to drought and new water projects
- Invest in new technologies to mitigate future drought
Current Level: Permanent (Base Level)
In 2009, the Torrance City Council adopted a Water Conservation Ordinance (Ordinance 3717) to prohibit wasteful uses of water, place certain restrictions on water use and encourage sustained conservation. The Ordinance has four stages (Permanent Baseline Measured, Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 Stages), which are enacted in response to the water supply conditions. On August 9, 2016, City Council approved deactivation of Level 2 water requirements due to the improved water supplies. While conditions have improved, it is imperative that residents continue to conserve water and practice water-wise tips.
The Conservation Ordinance applies to the entire City regardless of retail water supplier.
Base Level -Water Use Requirements and Regulations
- No outside watering between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Outdoor watering limited to 15 minutes per area or irrigation station
- Fix all leaks within 15 days
- No watering 48 hours after rain event
Permanent Requirements In Effect at all Times
- No excessive runoff from outdoor watering
- No washing of exterior surfaces
- No washing of vehicles with "open hose"
- All water features must have a re-circulating system
- Restaurants to use water conserving spray valves
- Restaurants to serve water only upon request
- Lodging business must provide option not to launder linens daily