Report an Issue or Submit a Service Request
The Streetscape Division of Public Works understands that trees are an important part of the community. The Streetscape Division plants an average of 400 trees per year throughout Torrance medians, residential parkways, and major arterials.
If your parkway (the area in front of your residence between the sidewalk and the street) does not have a tree and you would like one planted, our staff will inspect the parkway and plant a tree if conditions allow. Staff will ensure the proper size and tree species is planted at no cost to homeowner. When a new tree is planted, staff will leave a notice on your door with the common and botanical name of the new tree as well as its watering needs.
Please understand that the City is limited to the available species at 4 to 5 tree farms. While the majority of our new trees are above average size, occasionally we can only locate smaller stock. Tree sizes can depend upon many factors. (Cold winters, drought, pests, high demand of a species, low supply of a species, slow-growing species requested, etc.) Our in-house Arborists inspect every tree purchased to make sure each tree is in good condition and healthy. With proper watering and care they will grow to be mature healthy trees.
For further information please call Public Works – (310) 781-6900
Some Benefits of Trees
- Trees reduce air temperature by blocking sunlight.
- Deciduous trees block sunlight in the summer, but allow sunlight in the winter.
- Trees shade hard surfaces like roofs, driveways, patios, and outer walls, thus keeping homes cooler.
- Trees absorb and block noise and reduce glare.
- Trees help settle and trap dust, pollen, and smoke from the air.
- Trees create an ecosystem to provide habitat and food for birds and other animals.
- Trees absorb carbon dioxide and potentially harmful gasses, such as sulfur dioxide, carbon monoxide, from the air and release oxygen. One large tree can provide a day’s supply of oxygen for four people.
- Trees help reduce surface water runoff, thus reducing erosion and stabilizing soil.
- Trees have been reported as having a positive and peaceful effect on people and create a feeling of relaxation and well-being.
- Trees can create lasting impressions on how a community is perceived by visitors and affect the mood and community pride of its residents.