For COVID-19 updates visit TorranceCA.Gov/COVID19.

Permits & Mapping

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


The Permits and Mapping Division provides a full range of services:

  • Provides permits for work conducted in the Public-Right-of-Way including:
  • Houses a library of
    • Right-of-Way Maps
    • Subdivision & County Assessor Maps
    • Sewer Basemaps and details
    • Storm Water Basemaps and details
    • Torrance Water Basemap and details
    • Petroleum Lines Base Maps and details
    • Survey Information
    • Flood Zone Maps
  • The center for Torrance's award winning GIS for Computer Generated Maps and Aerial Photos
  • Sale of Public Works Construction Standard Plans
  • Generates Encroachment Agreements for structures in the Right of Way
  • Provides License Agreements for franchises in the Right of Way


All Construction and Excavation (C&E) or Lane Closure permit requests require the following information

Permit requests for Refuse Receptacle (Dumpster) placement require the following information

  • Name of dumpster company (which should be licensed to do work in the City of Torrance)
  • Location
  • Size of Dumpster

Street Use Permits for Oversized loads can also be obtained when travelling through Torrance. A completed Street Use Form must be signed by the Police department to be approved. The cost is $29 for one time use and $61 for annual use. Proof of insurance must be provided if it is not currently on file.   For more information on the following, please click on the link. For further questions you may call us directly at 310-618-5898.

  • Application for Encroachment Permit  (The following form may be used to begin the process of obtaining a permit to
    encroach into, upon or over the right-of-way of the City of Torrance. Examples of the type of construction you would need this permit for would be: Erecting a fence at the back of a sidewalk (property lines typically are a minimum of one foot behind the sidewalk), erecting an awning over display windows at a business or when parts any part of a structure protrudes into the public right-of-way. To begin this process, download this file and fill out the enclosed form. Print the form and mail it along with a check for $112 (investigation and processing), mail to: City of Torrance, Community Development Department: 3031 Torrance Blvd., Torrance, CA 90503, Attn: Permit Section. A receipt will be mailed back to you as confirmation that your application has been received. Be sure to include a day time phone number with your application. Any further questions you may have concerning this process can be answered by calling the permit section at (310) 618-5898.)
  • License Agreements for monitoring wells
  • License Agreements for Conduits for Private Use
  • Encroachment Agreements for Telecommunication Lines
  • Contractor's Qualification List
  • Work Not Requiring a Permit

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer