Annual Armed Forces Day Parade & Celebration
Festivities May 17 - 19, 2019
Parade Highlight Saturday, May 18
Our nation's men and women of the military forces have defended our country, insured our freedom, and upheld the beliefs and principles that this great nation was built on. Each year, the City of Torrance continued its long-standing tradition in its 60th consecutive year of hosting an Armed Forces Day Celebration and Parade to honor the sacrifices of our nation's military.
The City of Torrance is proud to help honor and thank the men and women of our nation's Armed Forces!
Facts and Information
- Torrance is one of few cities nationwide sanctioned by the Department of Defense to honor our Armed Forces through an annual Armed Forces Day Parade & Celebration.
- Torrance's Armed Forces Day Parade has the distinction of being the nation's longest running military parade sponsored by any city.
- Last year's celebration brought approximately 60,000 people to crowd the Parade route.
- The year 2019 marks the 60th year that the City of Torrance will host an Armed Forces Day Celebration to honor the nation's military. Torrance's celebration takes place the third weekend in May, and lasts from Friday through Sunday.
- The 60th Annual Armed Forces Day Parade will take place Saturday, May 18, 2019. The parade begins at 1:30 p.m. at Crenshaw Boulevard and travels one-mile west on Torrance Boulevard to Madrona Avenue. It ends approximately at 3:30 p.m.
- Each year, the City of Torrance identifies one branch of the military - the United States Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, or Coast Guard - as the "honored service" of the Armed Forces Day Celebration. A high-ranking member of the honored service is invited to serve as Grand Marshal.
- The 2019 celebration honors the Navy.
- Besides the Parade highlight, the community can enjoy other festivities during the 60th Annual City of Torrance Armed Forces Day Parade & Celebration, including military exhibits and a free concert by a band from the military.
- Military exhibits on display, including aircraft, vehicles, support equipment may be viewed at the Del Amo Fashion Center parking lot just east of the Lifestyle Wing. Dates and times to be announced later.
- Two free concerts are typically held at 1:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on the Friday of celebration weekend at the James Armstrong Theatre, 3330 Civic Center Drive. Information to be announced at a later date.
- The Torrance legacy of the Armed Forces Day celebration began under the leadership of Mayor Albert Isen in 1960 and has grown throughout the years to be considered a Southern California tradition. According to Mayor Isen, the parade was to "increase public respect and understanding for military service and promote civic-military relationships."