Torrance Fire Explorer Program
Fire Exploring is a unique career exploration program for young men and women. The City of Torrance Fire Department, and Learning for Life, in a joint partnership, bring the career of firefighting to life by offering youth participants an opportunity to learn about the fire service firsthand.
Fire Explorers, under close supervision, participate in non-hazardous activities that will familiarize participants with the nature and demands of the fire service. In addition to learning about the fire service, the main goal of the Fire Explorer Program's is to provide young adults with a sense of responsibility to their community through ongoing community-based activities. Fire Explorers will train in five areas of development: Career, Character, Service, Life Skills, and Leadership Experience.
The Fire Explorer is the entry level position in the Torrance Fire Department's "Grow Our Own" series. This is the very first opportunity to learn and understand about a career in the fire service at its most basic level. Fire Explorers with the Torrance Fire Department will learn how to prepare themselves to be competitive in a very aggressively sought after career within the fire service.
Fire Explorers work under the immediate supervision of a Firefighter who is the Explorer Post Advisor. Fire Explorers are assigned to specified duties and activities based on completed training and demonstrated ability and experience. The organizational structure of the Explorer Post is similar to that of the Fire Department. This allows for the development of leadership skills and abilities to be nurtured and utilized within the young adults participating.
Example of Duties:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Participates in drills and training in firefighting techniques
- Sets up and uses fire hose, ladders, and other firefighting equipment
- Learn pre-fire planning and fire prevention
- Participates in public education and community outreach
- Participates in the Fire Explorer Ride-Along Program to learn about firefighters duties at a firehouse
- Performs various other duties as assigned
The Minimum Requirements to become a Fire Explorer are:
- Must be a registered member of the Learning for Life exploring subsidiary
- Must be between the ages of 16 and 20 and have completed the 10th grade.
- Must be enrolled in school and possess and maintain a 2.5 (C average) or greater GPA
- Must pass the Torrance Fire Department's Fire Explorer Program Physical Agility Test
- Must have no serious arrests and/or convictions
- Must maintain the Torrance Fire Department grooming standards
- Possession of a valid CA Class C Drivers License is desirable
The Selection Process:
The selection process will consist on an application review and oral interview. Interviews are scheduled on an as needed basis and recruitment for Fire Explorers is conducted on a continuous basis.
Work is performed both inside and outside in seasonal climate and weather conditions. Elevated heights, slippery surfaces, oily conditions, dust, dirt, smoke, heat, hazardous substances, chemicals, and odors are conditions frequently encountered. Physical demands include heavy lifting (minimum of 50 lbs) and carrying of fire equipment while working in required protective clothing. Work requires manual dexterity to assemble fittings and perform hose and ladder placement evolutions. Bending, stooping, running, squatting, pulling and climbing are also required.
For questions about the program or application process, please contact Fire Explorer Advisor, Firefighter Brent Fournier at BFournier@TorranceCA.gov or at 310-781-7000.
The City of Torrance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.