For COVID-19 updates visit TorranceCA.Gov/COVID19.

Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Hazardous Materials Usage and Oversight in Torrance

Senate bill 1082, passed in 1993, created the Unified Hazardous Waste and Hazardous Materials Management Regulatory Program (Unified Program) which requires the administrative consolidation of six hazardous waste and hazardous materials programs under one agency, a Certified Unified Program Agency.

The Certified Unified Program Agency for the city of Torrance is the Los Angeles County Fire Department Health Hazardous Materials Division.  Torrance acts as a Participating Agency with the Los Angeles CUPA and manages the following four hazardous materials programs within the city of Torrance:

  • The Hazardous materials disclosure program, Article 1 Chapter 6.95 Health & Safety Code,
  • The California Accidental Release Program, Article 2 Chapter 6.95 H&SC,
  • The Underground Storage Tank Program, Chapter 6.7 H&SC,
  • California Fire Code dealing with Hazardous Materials Management Plans

The Los Angeles County Fire Department Health Hazardous Materials Division oversees all hazardous waste programs in Torrance:

  • Hazardous Waste, Chapter 6.5 H&SC,
  • Tiered Permitting, Chapter 6.5 H&SC

Contact points for hazardous materials in Torrance

Any questions dealing with hazardous materials usage in Torrance, Risk Management Plans or Underground Storage Tanks should be directed to the Torrance Fire Department Hazardous Materials Administration, located at the Torrance City Hall Complex, Community Risk Reduction Division, phone 310-618-2973.

Any questions concerning hazardous waste issues or Tiered Permitting should be addressed to the Los Angeles County Fire Department Health Hazardous Materials Division, South Bay Division in Lomita.  Their number is 310.534.6277 and their location is 24330 Narbonne Avenue, Lomita, CA 90717. Click here for other contact information.

Hazardous Materials Program Billing                                                                       

The billing for all hazardous materials and hazardous waste programs is done through the CUPA.  The CUPA will bill all users of hazardous materials or hazardous waste in Torrance on a yearly basis.  Any questions concerning the hazardous materials portion of the bill should be directed to the Torrance Fire Department. Issues about hazardous waste should be directed to the CUPA.  All businesses in Torrance that use hazardous materials must display a current CUPA permit issued by the Los Angeles County Fire Department. 

Note that the Torrance Business Office bills for Fire Inspections, Fire Permits and for the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System, NPDES.  These bills are separate from the CUPA billing process.