What is it?
Through conversation, relationships, mentoring and networking, employees have the opportunity to contribute to the wealth of talent the City employs. We place great importance on referrals because we trust our employees know what's best for the City.
How does it work?
It's quite simple! For every referral from you that is successfully hired, you'll receive a bonus. The best part is there is no limit to how many referrals you can submit. Get a bonus every single time!
We make it easy!
- Prior to the final filing date of the recruitment or prior to receiving the referred candidate's application for open continuous recruitments, you must submit a completed Referral Program Form to the Civil Service Division.
- Once the applicant successfully completes all phases of the examination and background process, and has been appointed to the designated position, you'll be eligible to receive the first referral bonus.
- Once the applicant has successfully completed 90 days continuous of employment, you'll receive the second referral bonus.
It's that easy!
When completing your Referral Program Form, you'll indicate your preferred bonus. You'll have an opportunity to choose between cash and vacation time. You'll also be able to mix and match your first and second bonus options. For example: You can receive $100 as your first bonus when the applicant you referred is successfully hired and receive eight (8) hours of vacation time as your second bonus once your referred applicant completes 90 days of continuous employment.
*You may not change the payment type once you have submitted your Referral Program Form.
Recognition and Thank You
Employees whose referrals are successfully hired will receive a special recognition announcement online! You and your referred candidate will have the opportunity to tell us what you enjoy most about working at the City of Torrance and why you felt the applicant you referred would be a great fit for the position. A picture alongside your referred applicant will also be included in the announcement!
It's all about people connecting!
- Only one employee referral per candidate will be eligible for the bonus, based on the first referral received by the Civil Service Division.
- Exclusions: Part-time recurrent positions are not eligible for a referral bonus. Click here for a list of ineligible titles.
- The following are ineligible for a referral bonus: Civil Service Division, Human Resources Division, and temporary personnel, promotional recruitments, referrals of current city employees, temporary employees, or contractors, and recruitments not conducted by the Human Resources Division.
- Employees who have separated employment forfeit eligibility for bonuses not yet paid at time of separation.