Success in saving lives and property is dependent upon timely dissemination of warning and emergency information to persons in threatened areas. The City of Torrancere are various systems in place to ensure that residents are notified in the event of major emergency. The systems that are local to Torrance include:
- Community Warning Siren - alerts public in close proximity to Exxon/Mobil Refinery of a chemical release and the need to shelter in place.
Visit: the ExxonMobil Refinery Information Page
- Crenshaw Barrier System - restricts traffic on Crenshaw Boulevard and Del Amo Boulevard by the Exxon/Mobil Refinery.
- PHONE BANK -The City has designed and implemented a phone bank which will relieve calls going to the Police and Fire dispatch centers and will provide necessary information to the community if they call. The phone numbers will be made available on City cable, City Web site and other press releases in the event of an emergency.
- Cable TV - CitiCABLE Channel 3 (Time Warner cable system), 31 (Frontier FiOS), and over-the-air digital broadcast KNET 25.2
- Radio - CitiSOUNDS AM 1620
- TorranceAlerts- The City of Torrance mass emergency notification system. Enables you to receive informational messages from the City in the event of an emergency. OPT IN NOW
- Torrance Amateur Radio Association (TARA) - local organization of ham operators that have communication links to the Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
- KFWB - Local radio AM 980
- KNX - Local radio AM 1070