The Torrance Police Department mission is to preserve public safety and quality of life within the City of Torrance, to respond effectively to the changing needs of the community, and to promote mutual respect between the Police Department and the people we serve.
Torrance Police Department Core Values
The Core Values that guide the actions of all members of the Torrance Police Department are:
- Service : Being aware of those who need law enforcement assistance and meeting or exceeding their expectations for service.
- Excellence: Being clear about and striving to achieve the high-test standards of performance in all aspects of our work.
- Integrity: Committing ourselves to elevated standards of trust, responsibility, and discipline while promoting justice in a fair and impartial manner.
- Compassion: Recognizing and responding with sincerity to the needs of those who are concerned for their safety, require important information, or are temporarily unable to provide for themselves.
- Pride: Believing in the social value of our work, considering it to be among the most noble of professions, and deriving personal and professional satisfaction from the effective performance of our duties.
To preserve a high quality of life and feeling of safety for the City's diverse population, all members of the Torrance Police Department are committed to serve with professionalism, respect and concern for the community. To optimize the use of police resources, the Department balances firm and quick response to all forms of crime with community problem solving and crime prevention approaches. The Department is mission-oriented in all of its priorities and activities.
The Department philosophy and work processes reflect modern, quality law enforcement concepts and technology, involving every member of the Department in an effort to continually improve all areas of administration and operations. Quality leadership at all levels reflects the department's commitment to a strong work ethic, while valuing diversity,promoting effective learning, enhancing and maintaining flexibility.
The Torrance Police Department constantly strives for effectiveness in preventing and fighting crime, for effective collaboration with other City Departments, and for providing leadership and support for regional law enforcement efforts. To this end, the Department recruits, hires, trains, supports and retains qualified personnel as sworn and civilian members of a progressive law enforcement agency.