Check List of Fire Hazards In and Around Your Home.
- Are matches and lighters kept out of the reach of small children?
- Is smoking in bed or when sleepy outlawed in your home?
- Are there plenty of ashtrays in areas where smoking is done?
- Are you careful not to smoke near flammable liquids, i.e. gasoline, hair spray, paint, etc?
- Do you check your overstuffed furniture after a party?
- Do you strongly prohibit using flammable liquids to start or freshen a fire or bar-b-que in your home?
- If you must have flammable liquids around, do you keep them in metal containers (never glass) and kept away from sources of ignition?
- Do you make it a rule never to use gasoline as a cleaning fluid?
- If you do use flammable liquids, do you use them outside and away from flames, sparks, lighted tobacco, or pilot lights?
Heating and Cooking Equipment
- Is your heating and cooking equipment, flues and chimney checked at regular intervals for blockage or broken pipes?
- Do you check your furnace and chimney to be sure they don't overheat, especially in very cold weather when furnaces work overtime?
- If you have a fireplace, is there a screen always in front of it?
- Is you wood stored away from windows and doors?
- If you have electric or gas appliances in your garage, are they 18" off the floor?
- Do you store your charcoal briquettes in a metal container with a lid?
- Are there enough electrical outlets to take care of appliances without the use of adapters?
- Are frayed electrical cords or broken plugs repaired before using?
- When buying electrical appliances, do you look for the Underwriters Laboratories mark of approval?
- Are you careful not to run extension cords under rugs or hood cords over nails?
- If you have a smoke detector, do you check or test it?
- Do you dispose of rubbish daily?
- Are oily rags kept in a tight, closed metal container?
- Are ashes from any fireplace removed outside and watered in a metal container with a lid?
- Are attics, closets and other out-of-the-way places kept free of rubbish?
- Do all your exit doors open (from inside) without the use of a key?
- Do all windows open wide enough for you to exit through them?
- Are your exit ways clear of extra obstacles?