Show 04.11 Watch Community Cooking daily at 9:30 A.M., 10:00 A.M., 3:30 P.M. and 6:30 P.M. only on CitiCABLE 3
Brunch Menu Ideas: Pain Perdue (New Orleans Style French Toast), Fiesta Potatoes with Peppers & Onions, Fiesta Eggs with Homemade Salsa, Hot & Sweet Mustard Cranberry Glazed Canadian Bacon and Chilled Strawberry Soup Guest Chef Randy Fuhrman
Pain Perdue Makes 6 servings
1 Loaf of Sourdough French bread (Get 6 to 10 slices pending on the size bread you use) 3 Cups Half & Half 8 Eggs, beaten ¾ cup of Southern Comfort liquor(You can do this without any liquor for the kids or also substitute Grand Marnier, Amaretto, Spiced Rum ½ cup of brown sugar ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg ¼ lb sweet butter to use as needed to brown off French toast
1. Cut bread into 2-inch slices; place in a single layer in a 12-cup casserole.
2. Combine Half & Half, beaten eggs, Southern Comfort; sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg in large bowl; pour over bread slices. Weigh down bread with a dish; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally until all liquid has been absorbed by bread.
3. Next day, butter a large skillet; arrange bread slices in pan; sauté, turning once, until golden on each side.
4. Bake in moderate over (350°) for 20 minutes or until puffed.
Serve With Maple Syrup With Wild Berries (Can Use Frozen When They Are Out Of Season). How to make Syrup 11/2 cups real maple syrup 11/2 cups assorted berries fresh or frozen Raspberry's, blueberries, blackberries or strawberries. I like them all with this.
Fiesta Potatoes, Peppers & Onions Serves 4
2 large Idaho potato 1 red onion peeled and cut julian 1 red pepper deseeded and sliced julian 1 yellow peppers deseeded and sliced julian Seasoned pepper to taste Salt to taste ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic (optional) (you can use granulated garlic) 2 T salted butter 2 T cup safflower oil Large cookie sheet
1. Wash the potato and puncture with a fork. 2 .in your microwave place potato and put on high heat and cook for between 4 to 7 minutes ( You want the potato to still be firm put partially cooked). 3. Take out and cut ends off and then slice ½ "to 1" thick. 4. Preheat your oven to 250°. 5. In large skillet melt the butter and then put in the oil. 6. put your potatoes and season them with the garlic, salt and seasoned pepper. 7. Cook potatoes so that they look brown on one side and then flip over till they get brown on other side. 8 take done potatoes and place on cookie sheet and place in preheated oven. 9. Get pan hot and then add onions until almost soft. 10. Then throw in your peppers and sauté until totally warmed through season with salt and pepper (you do not want to overcook the peppers so that they still have a little crunch to them when you put them in the oven with the potatoes).
Note: These can hold in a warm oven for over an hour so you can do these ahead of time so you are not doing them last minute. I serve these with ketchup.
Fiesta Eggs Serves 4 to 8
8 large eggs beaten well 1 12 oz bag tortilla chips coarsely crushed (I like the Chilé Lime by Trader Joes) 2 medium brown onions peeled and Julian sliced 2 cups shredded jack and cheddar cheese (you can by this already done to make it easier on you)(also you can use jalapeño jack if you like) 11/2 cups of your favorite salsa drained ½ stick salted butter
1. In large pan melt butter 2. When butter is melted take bag of tortilla chips and crushed coarsely (you can do this in the bag) and put into pan. Sauté off chips for about 5 minutes on a medium heat. 3. Add your onions and keep sautéing until onions are soft. 4. Then add your beaten eggs and keep stirring occasionally until eggs are set. 5. Add the cheese and stir well when cheese is melted. 6. Then add the salsa and stir a couple of times.
Note: If you are concerned about this being too spicy use a mild salsa and you can serve a spicier salsa on the side for you guest.
Some other things you can add for condiments to make it a little more fun if you like are: Sliced olives Sliced green onions Sour cream Cilantro leaves
This dish does extremely well for brunches because you can put it out on a hot plate and it will not dry out.
Authentic Mexican Basic Tomato Salsa Recipe Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipe Ingredients Makes Around 2 Cups
. 2 large, red ripe tomatoes, peeled and seeded . 1 garlic clove peeled . 1 Anaheim green chili, seeded and cut into thirds . 3 green onions, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces . 4 oz canned chopped green chilies . 1 to 3 whole jalapeños, deveined and seeded (Optional to taste) . 1/4 cup packed tightly fresh cilantro leave, . 1 teaspoon olive oil . 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice . salt and pepper to taste . ¼ cup ice water
1. Char the tomatoes over a gas grill or under the flame of a hot broiler for a few seconds, turning them until the peel blisters. Slip off the peel, and the flesh will still be firm. Remove the green stem core and cut the tomatoes in half vertically. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the seeds.
2. In the food processor, turn the motor on chop first and drop in the garlic, cilantro, green onions and jalapeños into the bowl of the food processor to chop for just a few seconds. Turn off the motor and scrap down the sides of the bowl using a rubber spatula.
3.Add all the remaining ingredients from the tomato salsa recipe, tomatoes, Anaheim chili, the chopped green chilies, olive oil and lime juice . Process with brief pulses to reach the desired texture, somewhere between a chow-chow relish and a textured puree. You want to see bits of all the vegetables throughout the salsa.
4. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a serving bowl and allow to season for approximately one hour. Just before serving mix in the 1/4 cup of ice water to cool the salsa. Make this great tomato salsa recipe then blend with mashed Avocado to make a fantastic guacamole. This healthy homemade tomato salsa recipe is great with everything. Since you will not have any left, storing is not a problem.
Hot & Sweet Mustard Cranberry Glazed Canadian Bacon Serves 4
8 slices of Canadian bacon ½ cup of hot and sweet mustard (can buy at Trader Joes) ½ cup cranberry sauce or cranberry chutney or whole berry cranberry sauce (whatever you prefer)
1. Preheat fry pan while making glaze over a medium high heat. 2. Take mustard and cranberry sauce and blend well. 3. Dip the Canadian bacon into glaze and place in hot fry pan. 4. Let bacon simmer then flip, and cook again on the other side.
Note: When finished you can put on a cookie sheet and pop in oven just before serving to re-warm. This can also be done with brown and serve sausage. You can use the extra glaze to brush on before serving.
Chilled Strawberry Soup Serves 4
4 Cups of strawberries washed and hulled ½ Cup of cold water 1 Cup of fresh orange juice ½ Cup Dark brown sugar 1/8 teaspoon of ground cardamom 2 Cups of plain yogurt
Garnish with fresh mint leaves and sliced strawberries.
1. Puree strawberries in Cusinart Blender.
2. In bowl, stir in orange juice, water, dark brown sugar and cardamom until sugar dissolves. Pour into blender and do an on/off pulsing
3. Then spoon in yogurt and pulse until blended well then chill thoroughly.
4. You can serve at this point or save and serve the next day.
When getting ready to serve, garnish with fresh mint leaves and sliced strawberries.