Show 27.09 Watch Community Cooking daily at 9:30 A.M., 10:00 A.M., 3:30 P.M. and 6:30 P.M. only on CitiCABLE 3
Seared Holiday Bay Scallops Wrapped with Bacon, Fennel Salad W/ Oranges & Pomegranate Jewels & Candy Cane Champagne Guest Chef Cheryl Dent
Holiday Wrapped Scallops
4 slices center cut bacon 4 jumbo scallops, cleaned and dry 2 tablespoons maple syrup Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large well-seasoned cold cast iron skillet add four slices of center cut bacon.
Turn on the heat of the pan, and cook the bacon 'til almost done. Use a pastry brush to coat each slice with a good maple syrup as it cooks. Cook until almost done but still pliable.
Sea Scallop Prep.
1. Rinse them well and pat dry with a paper towel. Make sure the scallops are dry.
Season the scallops with cracked black pepper and sea salt. Cook the seasoned sea scallops in the same hot cast iron pan. Scallops cook fast, about 2 minutes on each side. Don't mess with them before the 2-minute mark on each side, as you want a nice golden sear and crisp on the exterior.
2. Wrap each scallop with the bacon and finish cooking for another minute or so.
3. Gently toss the salad, careful not to break apart the supremed orange slices.
On a plate, portion half of the salad and top with two of the bacon wrapped scallops. Lift knife and fork. Eat.
Fennel Salad With Oranges & Pomegranate Jewels
2 navel oranges supremed 1 small shallot finely minced to yield 1 teaspoon 1 lime 1 bulb fennel, shaved thin 1 tablespoon agave nectar 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds 3 ounces cleaned and dried mache greens Salt and pepper to taste
1. Over a stainless steel mixing bowl supreme the flesh from 2 large navel oranges, the juice will serve as the base for the dressing.
2. With a mandolin set to the thinnest setting, slice the white stalk of a cleaned and dry fennel bulb into paper thin slices, or simply cut the fennel bulb into thin slices with a sharp chef's knife.
3. To the bowl with the juice, supremed orange, and fennel add.
The finely minced shallot, juice from half a lime, Organic agave syrup, and good quality extra virgin olive oil.
Mix in the cleaned and sorted mache greens.
4. Carefully peel the thick skin of pomegranate, and with a fork flake out the seeds or pry them out with your fingers. Fun for the kids!
Add the seeds to the salad mix.
Salt and cracked black pepper to taste, set aside.
Candy Cane Champagne
1 bottle chilled & iced champagne or sparkling wine 1 basket of strawberries, cleaned and hulled, about 8 ounces 3 tablespoons agave nectar Fresh mint or small candy cane peppermint sticks
1. Chill a bottle of champagne and set in an ice bucket.
2. Clean and hull one basket of strawberries. Mix with three tablespoons of agave syrup and let sit for a few minutes.
3. In a blender, whip the strawberries into a puree and carefully spoon 3 generous tablespoons into the bottom of a champagne flute.
4. Slowly pour the champagne into the flute. Be careful not to overflow in the glass as it fizzes.
For extra fun, garnish with a sprig of fresh mint or a candy cane stick.