BRIGADEIROS, BRAZILIAN FLAN & PAO DE QUIEJO
BRIGADEIROS (Brazilian chocolate truffles)
* 9 tablespoons sweetened cocoa powder (such as Nestle Quick)
* 3 tablespoon butter
* 3 (14 ounce) cans of sweetened condensed milk
* chocolate sprinkles (or unsweetened cocoa)
1. In a medium saucepan, over medium to medium-high heat, combine cocoa, butter and condensed milk. Cook, stirring CONSTANTLY with a wooden spoon, until thickened. It's ready when it starts sticking to the bottom of the pan no matter how vigorously you stir. (It takes about 15-30 minutes, depending on heat level.) Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl coated in butter. Let rest until cool enough to handle (preferably overnight). Wash your hands then coat them in butter. Using your buttered hands, form batter into small balls and roll the balls over a plate full of chocolate sprinkles. Eat at once or store for later. If eating later, you can maintain it at room temperature (what most Brazilians do if there's no ant situation to worry about) or store in a fridge for a firmer truffle.
Place the balls in candy cups to serve.
Makes 20 large truffles or 40 small ones
* 1.5 (14 ounce) cans of sweetened condensed milk
*equal parts milk (what fits into 1.5 14oz cans)
*1.5 TBS of vanilla extract
*1.5-2cups of sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour condensed milk into blender. Using empty condensed milk can, add an equal amount of milk. Add eggs and vanilla extract. Blend at slow speed until uniform (just a few seconds). Put a metal bundt mold over the stove. Pour 1.5 to 2 cup of sugar into it. Turn the stove onto medium. Cover one of your hands in a thick kitchen glove so you can hold the mold as it heats up. Using the other hand, stir the sugar with a wooden spoon. As the sugar melts, swirl it around the pan so it coats every wall of the mold. Turn off the heat. Place the condensed milk mixture in the mold. Cover the top of the mold in foil and place the mold in a bain marie (bain-marie - a large pan that is filled with hot water; smaller pans can be set in a bain-maire to keep food warm or to cook food slowly) and into the oven. Let cook for about 1 hour. After an hour, remove the foil. test doneness by inserting a toothpick into the flan and seeing if it comes out relatively clean. If not, let it stay another 10 min. Check for doneness every 10 min. Once it's done, let it cool. refrigerate for at least 4 hours. To release the flan, run a knife along all sides of the flan. Make sure you do the center ring. Cover the mold with a large plate, preferably one with a lip to trap the caramel sauce. Flip the mold. And you're done!
PÃO DE QUEIJO (cheese bread)
*one package of Brazilian Pão de queijo mix
*1/2 a cup of water
*1/4 cup of shredded parmesan cheese (or another dry cheese like romano)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat 4 minutes at slow speed. Then, if desired, work the dough by hand for up to 1/ 2hour . The longer your hands work the dough, the more it will rise. It is not necessary to work the dough. Using your washed hands, make dough balls about 1 inch thick, Place dough balls spaced in a cookie sheet. Bake at 350° F for 25-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 20 bread balls