Visiting? Relocating? Check out the Torrance Advantage  Open Gov  Torrance Alerts

 TORRANCE california

 | Frequently Asked Questions
*Complaints *Telephone *Radio

font size: A | A | A


Q:  What is the status of the Southern California area code splits and overlays?
A:  The status of area code splits and overlays change almost constantly.  The best source of official information is the California Public Utility Commission (

Q:  What can I do to stop getting telemarketing calls on my home phone?
A:  The Federal Trade Commission established the National Do Not Call Registry ( to make it easier and more efficient for citizens to register online and stop getting telemarketing calls you don't want.  The registry gives you a choice about whether to receive telemarketing calls at home. You can register your home or mobile phone for free. Your registration will be effective for five years.

Q:  Can I keep my phone number even if I change telephone carriers?
A:  In 2003 the FCC required that wireless carriers in the top 100 Metropolitan Statistical Areas must implement Local Number Portability (LNP).  LNP enables a telephone customer to change carriers within a given location and keep the same phone number. For more information and to verify that you qualify, contact your wireless carrier.  To file a complaint contact the California Public Utility Commission (

Q:  Do I have to register my wireless (cellular) phone to block telemarketing calls?
A:  It is against the law for telemarketers to use automated dialers to call wireless phone numbers.  Automated dialers are standard in the telemarketing industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their wireless phones without their consent.  Wireless phone users may add their numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry - the same Registry consumers use to register their land lines - either online at or by calling toll-free 1-888-382-1222 from the telephone number they wish to register. 

Q:  What can I do to stop SPAM on my wireless phone or pager?
A:  You may file a complaint with the Federal Communication Commission ( if you receive an unwanted commercial message, or a telephone solicitation on a device for which the phone number was registered on the National Do-Not-Call Registry, or any autodialed text message on your cell phone or wireless device.  The FCC can impose fines against those violating the CAN-SPAM Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, the National Do-Not-Call Registry, and the FCC's related rules.