Citywide Volunteer Opportunities
Open positions fluctuate depending on departments' needs. Contact the volunteer coordinator for current available positions.
All Departments Administrative Volunteer: Under general supervision, assist staff with administrative activities such as data entry, answering phones, filing, bulk mailing, addressing envelopes and typing correspondence. Volunteers must have the ability to understand and follow oral and written procedures, spell correctly and possess business level reading skills. (Positions are limited).
Community Services Department:
Library Division: The Library Division has positions available Monday through Saturday at the Civic Center Library or its branches to help patrons with the following:
- Public Services: With some training, volunteers can greet patrons and provide simple directions. Well-qualified volunteers could help patrons use the Web Catalog. Shut-In Service: Volunteers select and deliver books and tapes to homebound patrons. In this program, volunteers must show valid California Driver's License and proof of insurance.
- Support Services: Help is needed to search for lost books, organize shelves, cover new books, label audio-visual materials, clean computer equipment, and, at some locations, check the on-line catalog for books.
- Youth Services: Volunteers who enjoy arts and craft can create artwork and displays. During the school year, volunteers are needed to help youth with homework. In the summer, volunteers listen to children give book reports and distribute reading incentives.
Cultural Services Division: The Torrance Art Museum has positions available. Please fill out our application.
Do you love art? If you're an art enthusiast who wants to:
Learn more about contemporary art. Share your enthusiasm with the public Support museum activities.then become a charter member of the Torrance Art Museum's Volunteer Program! You can interact with the public by working at the visitor information desk, special events, or as a docent. Find out what goes on behind the scenes by helping with exhibit installation, graphic design, office assistance or volunteer coordination. If you're handy with a hammer or have technical savvy, we need you! An art education class and minimum commitment of six hours per month is required for all museum volunteers.
Parks and Recreation Division: The Parks and Recreation Division has opportunities available Monday through Saturday throughout the Torrance community.
- Bartlett Senior Center: Volunteers are needed to help with the lunch program at the Bartlett Senior Citizens Center. Volunteer hours are from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. one day a week, Monday through Friday. Duties will include assisting with the lunch step-up, servicing the lunches and cleaning up afterwards. A free lunch is provided for the volunteers.
- Saturday Farmers' Market to Pick Up Donations: Volunteers are needed to help pick up donations from the Torrance Farmers Market for the Bartlett Senior Citizens Center lunch program. Volunteers will pick up the donation on Saturday between 12:30 p.m. and 1 p.m. and transport them back to the Bartlett Senior Citizens Center.
- Focal Point on Aging: The Focal point program is housed in the Russ Nolte Annex and is located next the Bartlett Senior Citizens Center in Downtown Torrance. The Focal Point provides a full range of information and referral service to the community. Focal Point volunteers provide information on senior housing, transportation, companion care, Meals-on-Wheels, Medicare, HMOs, social and legal services and more. Volunteer shift are Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. or from 12-3p.m.
- Youth Sports Coach: The Parks and Recreation Division seeks volunteers to coach the seasonal youth sports teams. Under general supervision, assist Recreation staff by coaching girls and boys in the Kindergarten through eighth grade sports leagues. There are four seasons of youth sports: basketball (winter), volleyball (spring), baseball/softball (summer) and flag football (fall). Volunteers are subject to a complete background check with the Department of Justice and must be at least 18 years of age.
General Services Department Torrance Cultural Arts Center Theater Volunteer: The James Armstrong Theatre needs volunteers to greet patrons and collect tickets, usher patrons to their seats, and sell concessions. The theater operates 7 days a week, with most performances scheduled on weeknights and the weekends. Volunteers must be able to arrive 1 hour before the show and remain ½ hour after the show.
Click here for Fire Auxiliary Internship.