WHY ARE WE INVOLVED
- Influence legislation proposed by State and Federal legislative bodies.
- Take action on potential laws that could impact the City's ability to effectively govern.
- Take positions on State Ballot initiatives or on pending bills in the State or Federal law-making process.
- Oppose legislation that is detrimental to the City's ability to manage financial resources, zoning and land use issues.
- Promote legislation to enhance local control.
HOW WE MONITOR AND TAKE ACTION OF PENDING LEGISLATION
- Coordinate with City's lobbyists on bills that impact the City. The lobbyists are:
1. Van Scoyoc Associates, Inc. (Federal)
2. Joe A. Gonsalves & Son (State)
- Determine how bill affects local control, the fiscal impact and affect on public safety.
- Maintain working relationship with district staff.
- On-going contact with Federal and State legislators on City's position of bills.
- Track legislation by department and recommend support or opposition of bills.
Role of Legislative Action
- Review legislative information from City lobbyists, professional organizations and state and federal websites.
- Analyze bills to determine impact on department and City.
- Draft letters of support or opposition for the Mayor's signature.
- Communicate with City Manager's Office on any legislation of interest or concern.
Role of City Manager's Office
- Provide legislative information to departments for review, comment and position on bill.
- Coordinate with City Lobbyists on priorities and strategies.
- Review request from other organizations requesting letters of support or opposition.
- Inform Mayor and Council of bills that would have a significant impact on the City.
- Send letters of support or opposition to the authors of bills, the committee members where a bill is being heard, to the Governor, and to the City's local legislators.
Policies and Guiding Principles