Picnic Area Information
To make a picnic reservation, submit a completed application, full payment and proof of residency (required for Torrance residents only).
Mail/ Walk In: City of Torrance, City Hall West Annex, 3031 Torrance Blvd., Torrance, CA 90503
2014 Bookings, Click Here
The City of Torrance has implemented a program for group picnic reservations. A fee plus a deposit is charged to reserve a designated picnic area, which will cover maintenance, staff, and administrative costs. Parks where picnic reservations may be made are Columbia, El Nido, El Retiro, Paradise, Torrance, Victor, Walteria or Wilson Parks.
Groups of 25 or more are required to obtain a picnic permit; groups of less than 25 may do so if desired at one of the eight designated parks. Large picnics (50 or more) are only permitted at Columbia, El Nido, Torrance and Wilson parks.
If the park that you are interested is not listed, than we do not issue picnc permits for it. Therefore, your guest size may not exceed 25 people, nor are bouncers or amplifed sound allowed.
Picnic Fee Schedule Picnic Application Form Credit Card Authorization Form Bouncer Guidelines
To Make a Reservation:
1. Submit a completed Picnic Application Form 2. Include full payment and complete the credit card form for any incidentals
3. Include Proof of Residency if you live in Torrance. If you are trying to get the resident discount, the resident must also be the payer.
We cannot reserve the space for you until ALL required documents have been approved.
Summarizing our basic guidelines:
- Torrance residents, groups and organizations may make picnic reservations nine months in advance. Non-Resident groups and organizations may make reservations 1 month in advance. All applications must be received by 4:30pm the Tuesday before the weekend of the event (5 days in advance).
- The applicant, payer and proof of residency must all reflect the same name. We cannot accept a check or credit card from anyone besides the applicant.
- All applicants must complete the Credit Card Authorization form and sign the Damages, Overage and Imroperly Incurred Expenses Agreement on the credit card form. Under normal circumstances, your card will never be charged. In the event of damage, overage or improperly incurred expense, the customer will be notified in advance if their credit card will be charged and will be provided with a detailed statement. Customers that do not possess a credit card will need to pay a refundable deposit by cash or check ($100 small groups/ $250 large groups). Please allow 5-7 weeks for the deposit to be returned by check.
- Large groups are required to show proof of general liability coverage of one million dollars that names the City as additionally insured. This coverage can be obtained at the time the picnic reservation is made.
- Cancellations must be made a minimum of 48 hours in advance. Please see our cancellation and refund policy.
- Refreshment stands, large grills or barbecues, gazebos, amphitheatres, and other special facilities at the four designated parks may also be reserved.
- Bouncers are permitted at these eight parks. All groups, regardless of size, are required to make picnic reservations and obtain a bouncer permit. The City of Torrance does not provide electricity for Bouncer. You are required to use a pre-approved Bouncer company from the attached list.
- Certain picnic areas have a minimum/ maximum group size. For example, the Columbia Park gazebo is for groups of 26-50. Smaller groups may use this area by paying for a larger group, larger groups will need to reserve tables in an area that can accomodate thier group size.
- Sound permits must be obtained for any amplified sound at the parks (Municipal Code Sections 46.1.1, 45.1.2, and 46.1.3). The sound permit must be obtained after the picnic permit fees have been paid, and a copy of the completed sound permit must be submitted to the Facility Booking Office. All requests for sound permits must be submitted at least 30 days in advance of the event. Amplified sound (with a permit) is allowed at the Torrance Park Bandshell and at the Wilson Park Gazebo.
- Alcohol is prohibited at ALL city parks (Municipal code Section 49.2.6).
- Ponies/ petting zoos are NOT permitted at any of our parks.
- Please be advised that ball diamond permits must be obtained separately and are not included with a picnic permit.
Maps of Picnic Spaces