Starting a Business in Torrance
Contact City Hall and make sure the zoning is correct for your new business address.
Every business must meet zoning requirements to insure that its business category and site are compatible. Before signing any leases or moving in, check with the Community Development Department to verify this information.
STEP TWO :
- File a fictitious name statement and file your "doing business as" name in a local newspaper.
- To file a fictitious name statement, you must contact the local newspaper. The paper will file your DBA statement and publish your new business name.
*Prior to filing a fictitious name statement, you should call the Los Angeles County Clerk's Office and determine if your business name is already in use.
STEP THREE :
- Contact the State of California to file State Tax forms and obtain labor standards for employees. Obtain a State Board of Equalization resale permit, if required.
STEP FOUR :
- Provide the City with following information for a business license:
- Fictitious Name
- State resale permit number
- County/State Permits
- Business name/address/number
- Description of business
- Social Security/Federal I.D. Number
- Number of employees
*Depending on the type of business you plan to conduct you may be required to have:
*Business licenses for certain types of businesses (noted in section 31.7.3 of the Torrance Municipal Code) will be subject to approval of the License Review Board.
- Health permits
- Zoning inspection
- Fire inspection
- Contractor's license
- Building permits
- Alcohol beverage permits