Visiting? Relocating? Check out the Torrance Advantage  Open Gov  Torrance Alerts

 TORRANCE california

 | Election FAQ

font size: A | A | A

General Torrance Election Frequently Asked Questions


Visit our Election website at

Who is responsible for conducting City elections?

The City Cerk conducts consolidated elections with the Los Angeles County Registrar Recorder for the City of Torrance.  As an Elections Official, the City Clerk administers federal, state, and local procedures by which local government representatives are elected.
The City Clerk assists candidates in meeting their legal responsibilities before, during and after an election - from election pre-planning to certification of election results and filing of final campaign disclosure documents.

When are elections in the City of Torrance?

Elections for the city's elected offices are held the first Tuesday in June of even numbered years.  The next General Municipal Election will be held on June 7, 2016 and voters will elect three councilmembers.

What are the qualifications to become a candidate for a City of Torrance election?

"No person shall be eligible to hold any elected office in the City unless he be a resident elector therein and shall have resided in such City for at least thirty (30) days next preceding the date of his filing of nomination papers." - City of Torrance Charter

How can I run for elected office in the City of Torrance?

Basic Candidate Information

Where can I obtain the required forms to run for office?

All required forms and guidelines to run for office are available in the City Clerk's Office.

Where do I get the forms I need to start a campaign committee?

You may obtain the required forms in the City Clerk's Office, 3031 Torrance Blvd., or you may download the forms available through the Secretary of State or Fair Political Practices Commission websites.

What forms do I need?

  • The FPPC Form 501 - Candidate Intention indicates a candidate's intent to seek elected office and that they intend to raise or spend more than $1000 in doing so. It must be filed prior to the solicitation or receipt of any contribution, or the expenditure of any personal funds used for an election.
  • A campaign committee must file a FPPC Form 410 - Statement of Organization within 10 days of raising or spending $1000. This form indicates the candidate for which the committee was formed, the name and address of the campaign committee, the treasurer and the location (bank name and address) of the committee's bank account.

Does the City of Torrance have campaign contribution limits?

Where do I get election results?  How long does it take to count the ballots?

  • The polls close at 8:00 p.m. on Election Day. 
  • All ballots from the polls are collected and transported to the Los Angeles County Registrar Recorder/County Clerk in Norwalk which is the Central Counting Place. 
  • Unofficial results will be available on after the close of polls and until all ballots are counted. 
  • Provisional ballots and Vote by Mail ballots cast at the polls or received on election day at the Registrar's office are canvassed beginning on the Thursday after election day. 
  • Unofficial results are updated periodically and posted on the Registrar's website. 
  • Official results are certified by the registrar and the County Board of Supervisors within 28 days and give to the city. 
  • The City Clerk will then present to the City Council for adoption when received.

How do I become a registered voter in Torrance?

  • Any Torrance resident who is 18 years of age and a citizen of the United States or naturalized citizen can register to vote by completing and Affidavit of Registration. 
  • You must file a new Affidavit of Registration every time you move or change your name. 
  • You must be registered to vote at least 15 days prior to the election in which you intend to vote.
  • Check the Los Angeles County Registrar/Recorder's website at for more information.  Registration forms are available at:
City of Torrance City Clerk
3031 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90503

L.A. Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk
Voter Records Division
12400 Imperial Hwy
Norwalk, CA 90650

On Election Day, how and where do I vote?

  • Before each election, Los Angeles County Registrar Recorder/County Clerk sends every registered voter a Voter Information Guide (Sample Ballot) that lists the candidates and polling location. 
  • On Election Day, the voter goes to the polling place indicated on the pamphlet. 
  • Election workers at the polls will check the roster for the voter's name, and will also instruct the voter on how to use the voting equipment if necessary. 

How do I learn more about the election?

  • In statewide elections, all registered voter households receive a Voter Information Guide from the Secretary of State with the statewide issues.
  • The Los Angeles Registrar/Recorder or local election official is responsible for mailing the actual Sample Ballot. Ballots for each voter's races are available online as well.
  • However, gives more: look for concise, fair and balanced, and thoroughly researched information about issues, candidates, and measures, as well as portals to and for even more information.