Visiting? Relocating? Check out the Torrance Advantage  Open Gov  Torrance Alerts

 TORRANCE california

Public Works
 | Frequently Asked Questions

font size: A | A | A
Questions and Answers





Who Do I Contact?


Am I serviced by the City of Torrance, the City of LA, or LA County?

If you live in the City of Torrance you can contact the City directly for any help.

Click here for a boundary map of the City of Torrance.

If you don't know if you live in the City of Torrance, you can usually find out by knowing who responds to your police or fire calls. For example, if the LA County Sheriff responds to calls in your area, then your trash is collected by the County of L.A. If your calls are responded to by LAPD, the City of Los Angeles can help you out.

City of Torrance, Public Works: 1-310-781-6900 or

City of LA: 1-213-485-2121 or click here to go to LA City website.

LA County: 1-213-974-1234 or click here to go to LA County website.

Trash, Recycling, and Other Waste

How do I set up a new Trash and Recycling account?

You can do this online at or call our Customer Service Center at 1-855-354-5623.

Can I get a large trash or recycling item picked up?

Yes! Call us at 1-310-781-6900 during normal business hours. We are open Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 pm. and on alternating Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

How can I report large "dumped" Items?

You can do this online at or call our Customer Service Center at 1-855-354-5623.

Where can I get rid of Hazardous or Electronic Waste?

There are various locations you can this drop off type of material. You can find a partial list by clicking here.

Is my trash still picked up if a holiday falls on our scheduled day?

Trash usually will be picked up a day late when there is a City-recognized holidayClick here to go to the holiday schedule.


How do I set up a new water account?

Click here to take a look at a map and see who your water provider is.

If you are in the Torrance service are, you can set up you service online at or call our Customer Service Center at 1-855-354-5623.

What is the Water Conservation Ordinance and how does it affect me?

The Water Conservation Ordinance (Ordinance 3717) is meant to stop wasteful uses of water and encourage life-long conservation.

Currently you can: Water your lawn before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m., every day, for less than 15 minutes. Please wait two days after it rains before watering again. This can change depending on how much water is available!

Never "hose-off" your sidewalk or let water go down the gutter. Always use a nozzle and can shut itself off, and remember to always conserve water.  Click here to report excessive water usage

What type of rebates are available for Water Efficiency?  

Please visit for rebates on:

  • Premium High Efficiency Toilets
  • High Efficiency Clothes Washers
  • Rain Barrels
  • Cisterns
  • Rotating Nozzles
  • Weather Based Irrigation Controllers
  • Soil Moisture Sensors



How can I get a tree removed or trimmed?

Property owners are responsible for hiring a tree contractor and for all costs associated with the work.

  • For trimming and removing a tree, you must apply for a FREE permit.
  • Trees that are removed must be replaced. There is $250 deposit that is refunded when a tree is replaced and inspected by the City.

 Applications for trim and removal permits may be obtained at the Public Works Department, the Permit Center, or by calling the Streetscape Division at 1-310-781-6900.

Can the City fix my tree root problem in my sewer and water pipes?

It is the responsibility of homeowners and businesses to maintain, repair, and inspect their section of pipe. Please review our Trees Related Sewer Lateral Policy by clicking here.


How can I get my streetlight repaired?


Most of the street lights in the City of Torrance are owned and maintained by Southern California Edison with a few areas maintained by the City of Torrance Public Works.  Click here for a map of City-owned street lights.   If the street light is in a City street light area, call 1-310-781-6900 during regular City business hours.

If you are having problems with a street light in an Edison area, call 1-800-611-1911.  

If you want to report an Edison street light issue online, click here to fill out an Edison form to report a problem.

For another option to report Edison street light problems, if you are on a mobile device, visit and download the Mobile App! You will receive an order number and will be able to check the status of the repair directly through your wireless phone.

Please have the following information ready:

Location of street light address, including the closest cross street 

Description of the problem (burned out light, flickering on and off, etc.)

Type of pole: wood, cement, or metal

Color of light bulb: white or amber

Pole Number (If it is an Edison pole, this number might be on a metal tag ending with an "E".)

Streets, Sidewalks, and Potholes

How do I get my sidewalk repaired or report a pothole?

The City's goal is to fix all potholes reported to us as soon as possible. Priority is given to potholes that may affect drivers, the rest are on a first come, first served basis.

Please report any issues by calling 1-310-781-6900 during normal business hours. We are open Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 pm. and on alternating Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or by e-mailing Public Works at


Street Sweeping


Is there Street Sweeping during a holiday?

Because sweeping areas are posted, street sweeping remains on regular schedule. The sweeping area that falls on the actual holiday will be skipped that week.