Visiting? Relocating? Check out the Torrance Advantage  Torrance Votes

 TORRANCE california

Public Works

font size: A | A | A


For residential curbside trash pick up, the City of Torrance uses 96-gallon black refuse containers, 64-gallon or 96-gallon gray recycling bins, and, in some test areas, 96-gallon "green waste" bins.  For residents who have alley pick up, there are 300-gallon trash bins placed in the alleys that are to be shared by two or three single-family residential households in the immediate area.  The question is, what goes where?

The black trash container is for household garbage, such as food waste and yard waste for those who do not have the green waste bin.

The gray container is for recyclables.  Click here for details on what we recycle in our curbside program.

The green bin is for green waste. On January 24, 2012, the City Council approved the gree waste ecycling program for all Torrance residents with City Service. Containers and instrucions will be dlivered over the following 12 months.  For information on the green waste program, click here.

There are items that the City does not take in the residential refuse program.  The list consists of, but is not limited to:

  • Dirt, sod, large landscaping debris such as stumps or large limbs over 4" in diameter
  • Concrete, rock, sheet rock, wood/lumber, dry wall, scrap metal, bricks, or any debris from construction work
  • Hot ashes
  • Automotive parts
  • Hazardous materials such as batteries, oil, paint, electronics, and medical sharps

For non-hazardous liquids such as cooking or vegetable oil, solidify the liquid by mixing it with an absorbent like kitty litter, Plaster of Paris, sawdust, or even newspapers.  Once the liquid is in "solid" form, it can go in the regular trash.  Do not pour down drains or sinks as this will damage pipes.

Electronics, such as TV's, computers, and cell phones are banned from the trash.  Click here for more information.

Click here for more information of how to safely dispose of hazardous waste.

For information on proper disposal of medical sharps, click here.

If you are interested in composting, click here.

The City offers a once-per-calendar-year large item pick up for residents with our refuse service.  Click here for more details.

If you need a roll-off bin, click here for a list of private haulers.