The Engineering Division of Public Works is responsible for the Traffic Engineering duties for the City and responding to citizen requests. Our purpose is to maintain safe and efficient traffic management and circulation and to make enhancements when necessary. Traffic Engineering includes items related to vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, traffic signals, signs, colored curb marking, pavement markings and striping and on-street parking for all City streets. Public Works also works with other City departments to prevent and/or eliminate traffic-related concerns that affect the quality of life of Torrance citizens.
Traffic Engineering duties include:
1. Design and review of plans for traffic signals
2. Operation, timing and synchronization of traffic signals
3. Design of all roadway striping and pavement markings for vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians
4. Design of all traffic control devices for vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians (i.e. signs and colored curb markings)
5. Design and review of traffic control plans needed for construction projects on or affecting City streets
6. Response to citizen questions related to traffic signals, roadway striping and markings, colored curb markings per Torrance Municipal Code Section 61.6.15, and signs (i.e. STOP, Speed limit; regulatory and warning).
7. Selection of locations for the City's solar-powered radar feedback signs to assist with traffic calming.
PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT CONTACT
You may contact our office at 1 (310) 781-6900. Office hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (excluding Holidays), and alternate Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
If you wish to report an issue with existing signs, pavement markings & striping or curb markings (i.e. missing, damaged, obstructed or faded) or to report a problem with a traffic signal (burned out lights; flashing RED; obstructed from view; etc.), please call our maintenance office at 1 (310) 781-6900 or email publicworkinfo@TorranceCA.gov
If you wish our engineering staff to investigate a request, please email PWTraffic@TorranceCa.gov. Your email must include a justification for the request and also include your name, address, and phone number so City staff may contact you.